Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Independence Day!

Happy 4th of July to all! Miss Viesa and I spent the day at my cousins' property in Queen Creek (about 45 minutes away from our Phoenix house). She met chickens and cows for the first time (she thought she was tough but the cows were entirely unimpressed by her). We ate ourselves sick and chilled out until the sun went down and we squeezed in some less-than-legal backyard fireworks before the storms came. I didn't take any photos because I was too busy enjoying myself and the convenience of Chris' iPhone camera is out of reach for another four weeks until he gets home.

For those of you unfamiliar with Arizona monsoon season, it is the crowning glory of summer (usually starts late June/early July). Gigantic dark clouds take over the sky while huge thunderstorms with lightening/hail/whatever else decides to fall out pour down on us for any given afternoon. Despite raising the general humidity level (we miss the dry heat + kills all swamp coolers), the air is thick and tastes like desert rain. That sounds dramatic, but it does. And it's delicious.

Looks a little something like this (not my photos):

Source
Source
The season has started out strong so far and I hope it continues. It was lovely surprise to have a storm today. They're not supposed to roll into Phoenix until later in the week. More on this, I'm sure, in the coming weeks. Hopefully I can get some great lightening photos of my own.

I'm so happy to call this place my home and happy to celebrate Independence Day with my family. Christian had a great day with friends in San Francisco and got to see some big fireworks. We miss you, honey.

Love,
Ash & Vies

1 comments:

DJ said...

Wow! I would love to experience an Arizona monsoon. And now I'm curious about the taste of desert rain.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com